Holy smokeys! This has been by far our craziest section, let me tell you all about it:
We started out from Ind feeling good. Got over Kearsarge with full packs and hooved it to Charlotte Lake to chill with some hiker buddies. The next day we were all lazy. Left camp late, stopped to jump in a 11,000 ft-high lake (cold!) and finally got up enough gumption to climb Glenn Pass (12,000 ft). I broke my walking stick sliding down the snow on the other side :( and we feasted on trout that Whiskey Jett caught us all for lunch. That night I started feeling lousy and we all stopped early.
Woke up the next day and I was sick. I guess climbing up to 12,000+ feet every day for the past five days caught up with me. We spent a day sleeping and puking and I didn't feel much better the next morning. We decided we would try to at least get over Pinchot Pass (12,300 ft) and I was in hell the whole time, stopping every half mile to lay on the ground and pant. The next day I felt a little better and we did Mather Pass (11,900 ft), probably the most technical pass on the trail. By that evening I was feeling a lot better.
I woke up the next day ready to take on Muir, the last pass over 11,000 ft, and also the longest. But of course, Jana was now sick.
We took another zero day, feeling discouraged while we watched our food dwindle. The next day we made 7 miles, barely, and didn't even get near the pass.
Jana was feeling no better the next day and we decided she needed to get into a town. I really didn't want to miss the rest of this section, which has some of the most beautiful scenery on the entire trail. She finally convinced me to let her go through Bishop pass (12,000 ft) into the town of Bishop while I went on to Mammoth Lakes.
Everything worked out pretty good, here's what happen to me:
Left Jana the morning of the 4th (my b-day, and nation's too, by the way) and hiked 23 miles over Muir Pass (beautiful), a great way to spend my birthday. I missed Jana of course, but I was consoled by Marmots and the most beautiful views I have ever seen. Busted out 23 miler-s for the next 2 days and got to Mammoth on the afternoon of the fourth day (11 total days since my last town). I was so happy to get to town and get some real food, a shower and a beer! Found Jana and heard her story over some much-needed greasy McD's burgers.
Jana's story:
Made it half way up Bishop Pass on her first day, still feeling lousy. Made it over the Pass on the second day and met up with a day-hiker who lived in Bishop. She got to talking to him, told him her story and he offered to let her come stay the night with him and his wife! They were super nice, gave her a guest room, fed her and drove her around town. She even had her own b-room! The next day they drove her to Mammoth where she met up with Mover, a PCT friend. They hung out in Mammoth, sampled local cuisine and camped at the campground. The next day she hung out in town until she met up with me.
Oh, the whole time my Spot Tracker wasn't working and she was super worried about me. Poor thing.
Well, now we are kicking it in Mammoth, a nice little ski town and are relaxing it up until we get back out to the mountains.
We have the best parents on earth, by the way. They are paying for us to stay in a motel while we get some much needed R&R! If you see any of our parents, give them huge hugs!
We love you all. We're glad to be alive and healthy and are having the time of our lives!
Sorry for this tome, now you can get back to your lives :)
Splinter and Aloe
P.S. Still no pictures! There will be tons when we get a chance to update. You should be excited, they are good.
Mammoth Lakes to South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kennedy Meadows to Mammoth Lakes, CA
Agua Dulce to Kennedy Meadows, CA
Big Bear City to Agua Dulce, CA
Campo to Big Bear City, CA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you guys are making it along just fine! It's good to have updates. It makes me smile and wish I was there with you! hiking would soooo beat working right now. =D God Bless!
ReplyDeletehey friendos
ReplyDeleteheres the news on our end:
-Sean Dixon is moving to Portland next summer; TJs going to school down there for graphic design.
-Christina's going to a Blink 182 reunion concert in Boston in a week
-Chris and I just got back from training for MCC in Akron, PA, which was rad. a friend from SPU is going to Mozambique so he was there. we got to visit NYC which was... big. photos on facebook.
-after much deliberation, i've succumbed and decided to start a facebook. eventually.
-Derek starts law school in a month in Connecticut
-Christina just got the monroe piercing. pretty awesome.
-im back at lynden for another summer until we leave.
other than that, we're just hangin' out. give me a call sometime.
hugs and kisses
-david